Yam Halwa with Cardamom Cream
Recipe and Photo Credit:
This delightful, whole-food dessert can be modified for your diet needs by changing up or omitting types of sugar (for the cream), or changing the dairy cream in the topping for coconut cream.
Sweet Potato/ Yam Halwa
- 2 1/2 cups Grated Yam or Sweet Potato
- 4 Tablespoons Cultured Ghee* (traditional, brown butter, vanilla or chai)
- 2 cups + 1 Tbsp Milk or Nutmilk
- 1 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 Cup Dates, chopped
- 1/2 cups of Almond Flour (blanched)
- Wash, peel and grate yams
- add 1 Tbsp milk of choice and pinch of saffron in a small bowl and allow to soak for 10 minutes as you prepare the rest
- Sautee grated yams in the ghee for 3 minutes, on medium heat
- stir in saffron milk mixture, the rest of the milk and cardamom and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer until soft, about 25 minutes
- Stir in dates and almond flour and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm, topped with Cardamom Cream (below)
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream (or sub full fat coconut cream)
- 2 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
Add all ingredients to mixing bowl or mixer and whip until soft peaks form. Use as a topping for Halwa
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.