Sweet Sheera with Cardamom, almonds and raisins
Recipe and Photo Credits:
Aparna Khanolkar of Pureishvari.com
Sheera is a sweet, comforting semolina pudding served with breakfast or as a dessert, that is perfect for the cooling temperatures of fall. Rich with ghee and nuts, the healthy fats build strength and resilience for the coming winter.
1 cup Semolina
½ cup plus 1 tbps Ghee
¾ cup Coconut Sugar
2 1/4 cups water
10-12 strands of Saffron
1 tsp Cardamom powder
2-3 tbsp Raisins
2-3 tbsp Slivered Almonds
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the ghee on medium heat.
- Add the raisins to the ghee and fry them till they are plump.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- Now add the almonds and fry them till they are light golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- Now add the semolina and stir.
- Keep stirring continuously till the ghee and semolina are well incorporated.
- Keep the heat on medium low and stir for 7-9 minutes till the semolina is light golden in color and fragrant.
- In the meanwhile, heat the water and add the sugar to the water. Take 2 tbsp of hot water in a small bowl and add the saffron strands to it. Let it sit so it releases its color and flavor.
- When the water come to a rolling boil, carefully add small amounts of the water to the semolina. Cover with a lid to allow it to steam.
- Mix well and add more water - bit by bit - till it is all incorporated into the semolina. If you add it all at once, it is likely to splash and cause burns.
- Now add the saffron water and cardamom powder and mix well. Add the fried raisins and almonds and keep cooking this Sheera for another 2-3 minutes by stirring often. Now turn off the heat and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Let it sit for about five minutes. Serve hot.
Learn more about Aparna Khanolkar at Pure Ishvari