RECIPE: Borscht Soup with Ghee
Recipe by Rianne Chittenden
As we’re now officially in late winter, toggling between cold, dry winter days and warmer, wetter spring days, Borscht Soup is the perfect balance to heat up digestion with the lingering cold and helps to get things moving from the stagnation of winter. I find this recipe so soothing and personally love the dill! It is refreshing and rejuvenating, clears the sinuses and increases digestive strength (Agni in Sanskrit!).
- 2 cups Beets
- 1 cup Cabbage
- 4 medium Carrots
- 1 Potato
- ½ cup Yellow Onion
- 2 tsp Traditional Ghee
- 3 Tablespoons Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ - ¾ cup of fresh Dill (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried Marjoram or Oregano
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- Vegetable/Chicken/Beef Broth (more flavor!) or Water
- Mineral Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Couple squeezes lemon juice (optional)
- Peel and remove beet skins
- Roughly chop onions, potatoes, carrots, beets, cabbage and celery
- Place all ingredients in a pot and cover twice the height with water or broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for at least an hour
- Add a little extra ghee dollop on each serving as desired.